Friday, August 26, 2011

Ending the Games

I finished The Hunger Games? I appreciate the way it ended because it just ended. It didn't need to be a happy ending, and it shouldn't have been. I like that, even though it wasn't the true ending (because there are still two more books), that the ending was kind of sad. Some books I can't stand because they always have a happy ending just to appeal to society. The Hunger Games are an tense, epic, series of fighting and political scheming and it is a blow and a shame to any book when they ruin the intensity of the previous pages just to have a happy ending. Happy endings are for fairy tales and "feel good" books, and not every book needs to have one. Even in fantasy or any type of fictional genre some realism should be added. I think that authors can add this realism through endings and plot twists. In a series or single novel if one main character doesn't die or have something tragic happen to them it isn't complete. To feel emotionally connected to a character and a book a reader needs to be taken through almost every emotion. If the author is continually ending everything picture perfectly a reader never has the opportunity to experience a whole expanse of emotions such as grief, sadness, pain, or loss. Again I appreciate The Hunger Games because there was a proper and fitting ending to the novel and because it leads me to believe that there will be more similar, sad twist to come in the next two books. I respect that as a reader and look forward to starting Catching Fire?

No comments:

Post a Comment