Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Giving to Gnarnia?

I know that's not how you spell Narnia but its an Epic Movie reference? Right now I'm reading The Giver and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The Giver is interesting to say the least. The utopia presented in it is very systematic, culturing society within its youth since their birth. Every baby in the whole community celebrates their birthday on the same day, no matter when the baby was born. They also stop celebrating birthdays after twelve, the same age they get assigned a job for the rest of their lives. The only choice and variety kids really have is what they play with and where they volunteer their time at. This type of society would be an awful change for me. Freedom is something I've had since my birth, and every birthday I could celebrate that freedom in my own way. I see similarities because somethings are regulated,such as school, so that people aren't just bums. Other than that we get to choose our own path and our own future. No one can choose what job I am going to have except for me and the company I apply at. Within the net year I'll even choose what place I want to further my education at. Choice wont create a utopia but it will create adventure and happiness because wherever I end up will be on my own accord, not predetermined by someone else.

Narnia is also good. The movie followed the book very closely and up to this point is a very good visual representation of what has occurred in the book. Its also an easier read than I thought it was going to be. Its just a two hundred page story book, a long version of Peter Pan maybe.   ?

No comments:

Post a Comment