Tuesday, September 20, 2011

New Books?

Lately now, I've been reading alot of easy, breezy books? I've decided, after reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, that I want to read more substantial literature that has deeper meanings, metaphors, and qualities.

Thus my selection of new novels is High Fidelity which is a book by Nick Hornby that is similar in style and characteristics as wallflower. It is a story of a man, Rob, who owns a music shop in England that isn't doing so hot. He tells some of his story in flashbacks and lists and discusses everything that comes up in his life. I'm near the beginning and he has talked about his past girlfriends who hurt him the most when they broke up because recently, his girlfriend Laura, has moved out to be with someone else. I wanted to read it because its similar to wallflower and both remind me of a book I really liked, Catcher in the Rye.

My other selection was going to be Suttree a Cormac McCarthy story until I got my hands on The Crossing, the second part of The Border Trilogy, also written by McCarthy. The Crossing is really interesting. I'm not very far into it but Billy, the main character, has already met an Indian, who I think will come up sometime in the future to either help or hinder him, and set off on an adventure. He is with his dad tracking a she-wolf, who they hope to capture. She has started to prey upon cattle of the ranchers near by and so Billy and his dad take it upon themselves to track her down. I look forward to reading it because I really enjoyed All the Pretty Horses and I like to read McCarthy. His writing style forces me to focus on what I'm reading and to "participate" in the novel, instead of mindlessly going through it. It should be a good one?

No comments:

Post a Comment